Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 0 - Up, up and away

After staying up all night doing all the last-minute things I had planned on doing the 13th, it was off to the airport.

Up all night because I had forgotten my wallet in Virginia Beach, a three hour drive away. I would have just left it except that it contained the credit card used to book both my flight out of the country, and my onward flight to Paris. No credit card, no self-check in. So six hours of driving later, credit card in hand, I finally got around to packing, e-mailing, and tying up loose ends.

The drive to the airport was entirely uneventful, culminating in the predicted crying Mom goodbye with many photos.

We zipped through check-in, and were pleased to discover that not only do the packs fit neatly into the overhead bin, they even fit lengthgwise, promoting much goodwill among our fellow passengers trying to load their own packages.

Check in at Chicago O'Hare was another story. Because our transfer was from a domestic flight to an international one, we had re-clear security. The line, if it could be called that, was a slowly seething mass of disgruntled passengers, inching toward 4 security checkpoints. Again, once we were finally at the checkpoints we breezed right through but the wait to get there...

I can't really comment on the flight. The combination of no sleep and two Bonine (air sickness tablets) knocked me right out. Slept pretty much nonstop all the way to Warsaw. News on Warsaw next post!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Usually I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this article really forced me to do so! Thanks, really nice article.