Monday, August 27, 2007

Day 74 - Monday, Monday

In Germany it's OK to trust Mondays. This morning we ran a few errands with H, including more Doxycycline for Cz and some herbal cough medicine for me. The Doxy is just to prevent malaria when we head south, and the cough meds are for the fever-free, I-feel-fine-but-sound-gross remnants of this cold. No need to worry, Parents and Dr's in the family.

After our errands, we walked over to Tante's house. She prepared a delicious meal, which featured meatloaf, one of Cz's faves. She told us that she was going on a short trip, so we had to eat at all. As per usual where eating is concerned, the burden fell to Cz. I filled my plate, but sneaked in portions onto Cz's plate at every opportunity. It's not that I didn't like it, quite the contrary, it's just that there was so MUCH of it. Dinner duly eaten, we fell into a stupor while Tante tidied up and did the dishes.

After our little siesta, we went on a tour of family history, visiting the house where my mom was born, and her kindergarten building. Then we drove through the woods to Tegel See (Tegel Lake) , and to the fine restaurant Tolouse...Where we ate. Again. This time sweets and coffee. Cz and I both ordered what we thought would be small desserts. They were not small. Again, like Tante's dinner, delicious, but HUGE.

Tante invited us back to her apartment for tea, and we gladly accepted. The tea worked wonders on our drum-like tummies (even Cz's stuck out over his pants today!), and while we sipped our tea, my cousin and her mom showed up. This was a wonderful surprise, as they were both very busy, and we had expected only to be able to chat on the phone. Cz took a picture of the three generations of Hoffmans talking together. The family resemblance is striking. The same thing happens when my Omi, Mom and I turn up in the same photo. It could be an ad: The Hoffmanns - Strong Women. Strong Genes.

My cousin U, Cz and I ended up walking to H and B where we were greeted with, wait, wait for it...MORE food. We managed to convince U that she too was underfed and had dinner with us. Aside from great conversations with her catching her uncle and aunt on what she has been up to (she is a commercial pilot...she has flown Boeings and is now training to fly AirBUS), she helped with the eating of the food. Overall quite a FULL day.

No comments: