Thursday, July 5, 2007

Day 21 - 22.4 Kilometres

Puenta De La Reina to Estrella

Cz has found his trail legs, and I do not approve. Today he was leaving me behind. I would keep up for a while, but then get distracted by the view, or another hiker, etc. I would look up, and he would be 25 metres down the road, and I would have to run, run mind you with a 20lb pack, to catch up. No, I do not approve in the least. Actually, this is a distinct improvement over the wincing every step, and I am pretty proud of him. Now it is my turn to get fit!

Today we travelled from Puenta De La Reina to Estrella. You really cannot beat that for a name! A Medieval town called Star.

The route took us over the old Roman road -literally, like with the original paving stones Roman road. It needed some work.

Cz and I are SO over Roman bridges. At first it was "Ooooh a Roman Bridge, let's take a picture". Now it's "God, another Roman bridge. Didn't they have better things to do than build effin bridges..." I guess it says something that so many are still standing though.

Van Goh really knew what he was doing when he painted his olive groves. The branches really do twist like that, and the silver leaves shimmer in the heat.

The light here is hard and clear. Everything has the most distinct shadows. The light makes colours super-saturated, and there is so little moisture in the air that the blue of sky arcs down in deep cobalt until it hits the earth.

Speaking of the heat. In one village along the way we passed a fountain. This is not unusual. Most villages have fountains with drinking water for the pilgrims. What made this one unusual was Cz´s reaction. I guess the heat was really getting to him (to all of us). Almost everyone that stopped dunked their head under the fountain. Cz filled his hat, and then put it on. It held a lot...a LOT of water. He was drenched. He didn´t expect it to hold so much water. I got the whole thing on film, including the Cz lots of cold water dance. Very acrobatic. Stay tuned for pics. Eventually.

No comments: