Monday, July 23, 2007

Day 39 - 20 Kilometres

Astorga to Rabanal de Camino

Thankfully and easy day. Some blisters required re-lancing, but basically everything´s OK.

Rabanal is one of my favourite towns so far. A monastary and Vespers with the Monks. Roses from a garden on the altar. Eggs from the local hens with rich yellow-orange yolks like the ones I had from my hens at home as a child. Friendly poeple both in town and in the Albergue.

The weather has turned unseasonably cold. So much so that the albergue put a fire in the fireplace. We spent a very pleasant afternoon curled up in front of the fire, wrapped in in blankets, and reading. It was wonderful, if very odd for July.

The monks allow people to stay with them and meditate, or be still, or just get themselves in order. One does not need to be Catholic or even religious to do this. The next time I do the camino, I will allow for a week in Rabanal.

There is more to write for today, but time is short. I may come back to this post.

No comments: